Skip to main content

Postpone court date due to medical reasons

Atlanta, GA |

I have a court date ten days from now . Can i postpone court date because i am undergoing medical treatment for a bent bone and am partially incapacitated ? I was given a ticket by officer for driving with expired license and breaking red light during u - turn making

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need an attorney.

Darrell B. Reynolds Attorney At Law


Best answer is "maybe." Judges have the discretion to give continuances for valid reason, and it sounds like you have one. Know that a request for continuance is always more effective coming from counsel than from the defendant himself. Your best bet is to get an attorney to try and put the case off. If you don't, you will have to appear and ask the court to be excused, which kind of defeats the purpose.


I agree with Mr. Duncan. Bring documentation of you hospitalization and treatment to your attorney.