Possible to File L1B a second time after 5 years L1B status completed.

Redmond, WA |

I have a question regard L1B. If I have been on L1B for five years and my company failed to file H1B for me due to the H1B Cap lottery? Do I have to leave the US? Is it possible for me to come back with L1B again after I fulfill my commulite of a year or there is no possibility for me to get L1B visa again?

You could get another L1B, however you would have to be out of the United States for 365 days cumulatively.

Thank you David. If at the time I have to be out of the States for commulite of that 365 days, I have already filed my I-140 but not yet I-485. Can I continue my filing of 485 after I re-enter the US? or I have to file everything from scratch? Thank you

David Michael Gottfried

David Michael Gottfried

You can file your I-485 when your priority date becomes current if you are in the US, in a valid non immigrant status.

So for I can still file my I-485 on my 2nd time L1B based on the I-140 I filed in my 1st L1B? is my unstanding correct? Appreciate it. Thank you

David Michael Gottfried

David Michael Gottfried

You are confusing non-immigrant status with immigrant visa status, they are different.

Sorry for the confusing, Let me put it in this way. Suppose I am in my 5th year of my L1B which expires at Dec 2014 and I have just filed my I-140 this year (2014). In this case, I have to leave the US for at least 365, say that I will come back with another L1B on Jan 2016. will the I-140 I filed now still be valid at the time when i come back in 2016. or this I-140 will not be valid as along as my current status expired. Thank you.

David Michael Gottfried

David Michael Gottfried

Your I-140 has NO relation to your immigrant status, it remains valid.

David Michael Gottfried

David Michael Gottfried

Dont forget to mark as best answer.