Possible outcomes of Harassment in the 2nd degree and Endangering the welfare of a child?

Leicester, NY |

I am facing harassment in the 2nd degree and endangering the welfare of a child. I want to first say I dd not comit the crimes they are charging me with. I have a clean background never been in trouble. I am even going to college to work with kids! I was just looking for some information about what I could possibly be getting out of this. I am waiting for my court date and from there I have been told I can get a public defender. But any information could help. Thank you in advance!!

You need to hire a defense attorney to help assist you with a defense and negotiate a plea on your behalf. The maximum that you can get for harassment in the second degree 240.26 is 15 day jail time. For endangering the welfare of a child the maximum you can get is one year in jail.

Former Prosecutor and Family Court Law Clerk. I am available for phone consultations at (914) 368-2646. This answer is very general and is not intended to be specific legal advice and does not create any attorney/client relationship. Please consult an attorney with the specifics of your case to determine your best course of action in or out of court

Thank you!!

Harassment in the 2nd Degree is a violation - not a crime; but Endangering the Welfare of a Child is a misdemeanor that carries a maximum penalty of one year in jail. However, you should receive a favorable plea offer from the DA if you don't have a criminal record. That being said, if you are innocent and this arrest my impact your future work with kids, you should explain this to your lawyer and discuss with him/her your options.

Thank you!!

The endangering charge is the more serious. The max is 1 year jail, 3 years probation and a $1,000 fine.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.