Skip to main content

Possible Life Ins. Beneficiary

Grand Prairie, TX |

Hello everyone. My boyfriend died a month ago, and he has an employer-paid life insurance policy. When he was hired, myself and his mom were listed as primary beneficiaries. We split up for a few months, and I don't know if he removed me or not. Since we weren't married, I have no access to policy paperwork or obtaining a death certificate in order to file a claim. As far as I know, there is no executor, nor a will. The family will not discuss anything with me. All of my contact info has changed, so I doubt that the insurance company would be able to locate me. What can I do, if anything, to find out whether or not I'm entitled to anything? I don't know if the insurance company would even be able to tell me yes or no. Thanks in advance for your suggestion(s).

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You can try to send a letter to the employer and inform the employer of your change of address. In the letter, state that your address was changed and that you were named as the beneficiary on the life insurance policy. Before attempting that, you may want to contact a benefits attorney in your area. There are a number of attorneys who specialize in life insurance and benefit related cases. Hopefully, you will be able to resolve this matter. Sorry about the loss of your boyfriend.



Thank you very much, Mr. Wolf. I will start first thing in the morning.


You can get the information through probate.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.