Skip to main content

Possible Bigamy Charges

Jacksonville, FL |

I need advice about bigamy. I am currently living in florida and I am married and live in florida. However, I was very unhappy with my wife and I met another woman from Argentina, who I love a lot but she pressured me to get married. I made the mistake of getting married with her in Argentina this past January(now I know it was very stupid from me to do so). Now the Argentina woman found out I am actually still married and is threatening to press charges in the United States. Can anyone advise me on this? I would greatly appreciate. Please note that I have just filed for divorce of my legal wife in Florida because I am very unhappy with her.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

It appears that you have, in fact, married two people at once, which means that your second marriage is void. You should consult with an attorney who practices in Florida to see whether this exposes you to any criminal liability - and to help you with your divorce.

In the meantime, though, remember this: There is no such thing as "pressing charges." This is a common misconception. Criminal cases are brought by the police and district attorney (or Federal criminal investigators and United States Attorney, for federal crimes). Private citizens can report crimes to the police and can cooperate with the prosecutors in their cases, but that's all they can do. No private person, not even a crime victim, can legally compel (or refuse) the prosecution of any crime. So even if you did break the law, this Argentinian woman would have to persuade the police and your local DA to prosecute you - she has no power to do it herself.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:


Your second marriage is void or voidable because you were previously married, please work with a local divorce attny and he or she will help you. take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


You absolutely must consult with an attorney in your county at your very earliest opportunity. You may be facing serious issues and will need assistance in getting this matter resolved.

Eileen D. Jacobs, Esq.
Office: 2505 W. Virginia Avenue
Tampa, FL 33607
(813) 877-9600
Mailing: P.O. Box 14953
Clearwater, Florida 33766-4953
(727) 787-6595


We are a local family law firm. We'd be happy to speak with you regarding a dissolution of marriage in Duval County.

Bottom line, if you are unhappy, then you should consider divorce and/or marriage counseling if the marriage is salvageable.

Note: The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.