Skip to main content

Possibility my children's grandparents receive joint custody?

Potsdam, NY |

My children's grandparents (on their fathers side) have filed for joint custody with me. Their father is in the process of giving up his rights to me. I have no desire to share custody of my children with them as I am completely able to raise them myself. I am curious as to what the chances are that the judge would give them joint custody.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

If you are otherwise fit as a custodial parent to assume sole/primary/legal custody and the father is consenting (he can't totally "give up his rights" unless there's a custodian willing to adopt), there is little chance that the grandparents will share custody with you.

This would only occur in the instance where you were found to be abusive or neglectful, and then the grandparents might gain primary custody or become guardians. You don't have much to worry about here, but having an attorney to deal with the grandparents or their attorney would reduce your stress levels.

Grandparents don't ordinarily have a right to custody or even to participate in a custody matter or file petitions where the biological parents are in the picture and are otherwise fit to be parents.

This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of other attorneys on are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue. I can only answer your question based on the brief statement of facts you present in your question which may omit other relevant facts which would be disclosed in an in-person interview. While I attempt to provide reasonable care in answering your questions in an online forum which encourages attorneys to provide brief "off the cuff" responses within several hours of the posting of a question, I cannot perform any further detailed legal research concerning possibly relevant statutory or case law which might apply to your situation that I would normally do in the course of my representation of clients where an attorney-client relationship exists (and you are paying for my services!). You should therefore not rely solely upon legal information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1, available online at ) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".


The court will not order joint custody to you and the child's grandparents. Either you'll get custody or they will get custody.

The above answer is intended for informational purposes and is not legal advice. It does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship.


Unless you agree, the chances are nil.

I am an attorney with over a decade of experience in Matrimonial and Family Law with offices in Brooklyn and Manhattan. I have experience in all five boroughs as well is Nassau and Suffolk County. The opinion expressed in this ad based upon the limited information provided and do not indicate an attorney-client relationship


They will not get joint custody with you, unless you are utterly and completely unfit as a parent.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer