Skip to main content

Poor student just got into a car accident and found out that my insurance coverage was canceled. Can a lawyer help me?

Union City, CA |

I am a poor student who just moved to CA and was in the process to have Geico as my new auto insurance since my old one from PennState doesn't do cross state coverages. I got into a car accident and found out my policy was canceled due to a missing vehicle title they have requested 2 times in 7. I missed the letter because I live with others and just never got to see those letters. I called the comp. and they say that there were no back track even if I activate it today. The car accident would be my fault because I am the 3rd car w/ 3 cars involved. I don't know what to do and someone told me I should get a lawyer...can someone please help me and tell me what's going to happen and advise me on getting a lawyer? And how it would help me with this case. I'm really poor and need help..thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I represent plaintiff's but am happy to speak with you and answer any questions you might have. Feel free to call my office.

None of the information found in my answer should be used as legal advice, a substitute for an attorneys evaluation or other type of advice. I do not know all the facts of your case and there are many factors involved when evaluating accident cases. You should meet with an attorney who can properly go over all the details of your accident.


Sorry to read of your bad luck.

The insurance company met its obligation when it informed you coverage would be terminated in writing. The fact you did not receive the letter is really not the responsibility off the carrier -- it is yours. It goes without saying, but you needed to square tha situation away the minute you left Pennsylvania.

You may be sued for property damage dollars now that you have caused a collision. The type of attorney you need is someone that is able to deal with insurance carriers and property damage settlements. Of course, if you were cited, you may need a criminal defense attorney. That said, restitution may also be an issue in your criminal case.

Best of luck to you.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


Without insurance, you are subject to being pursued by the other drivers. If the damages are not too much, they may have their damages paid for under their uninsured motorist coverage. In that case, their insurance companies could still pursue you. If either the other drivers or the insurance companies seek to get the money from you, your ultimate source of protection is bankruptcy. This may be a wait and see what the other parties and their insurance companies will due. It would be a good idea for you to hire an attorney in your area to discuss your options.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Law Office of Sidney Weinstein, pursuant to an executed fee agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Sidney Weinstein,, (404) 522-3108.


I suggest that you contact a civil defense attorney familiar with insurance coverage issues in the state where your canceled insurance came from. The attorney needs to review the facts in detail to see whether or not the cancellation of your insurance fully complied with all applicable insurance regulations of your former state. If they did not fully comply, you may have coverage for this particular situation. The sooner you make a determination, the better. Hopefully you have now obtained California insurance coverage.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.


It may be that you are the uninsured driver. If that is the case, it is still important to involve the police for a written report in order to protect your rights. If the accident was not your fault, and the other person was insured, then his policy will be responsible for your damages.

However, if the accident was a result of something you did, it is still important to have a written statement. It is possible the other driver may sue for damages, and you will need proof of what actually happened. If contacting an attorney is possible, it should be done in order to further protect your rights and assets.

Depending on the type of accident, a payment schedule may be negotiated through the other driver’s insurance company to show good faith. As the uninsured driver, you may be only required to pay the deductible if the other driver’s policy had a rider for the uninsured.

Knowing your options regardless if you are insured or uninsured in this situation is important. Consulting an attorney or insurance specialist in order to understand the process further will be essential to settling the issue.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.


Did you keep sending checks and did they keep cashing your premium checks? This could make a difference as to whether you have coverage.

The answers on this discussion board are general in nature and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to questions does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Always see a lawyer about your individual situation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer