Skip to main content

Please help me!!!

Bronx, NY |

I'm 16 years old and my boyfriend en 22. Both of my parents give us consent to date. However, a social worker reported us to ACS. ACS is coming to my house and stuffs but I just want to know what can they do to him? Can he ge arrested or something?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Yes. The age of consent is 17 in New York. As far as your age difference, dating is okay, but sexual relations are not. Tread carefully.


Age of consent in NY is 17! one can not consent to sexual relations if under 16. Neither parents nor participants can consent. If they investigate and they find something, then there will be a referral to the police.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


Dating is okay but the legal age for consent to sex is 17 and parents cannot consent on behalf of a person less than 17.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


I agree with the other posters - if you admit to having has sex with him, then he can be arrested for statutory rape. Thus, you have a right to remain silent and to have an attorney present with you during any questionning - and the same goes if either ACS and/or the police go to question your boyfriend. Thus, you can refuse to answer any questions until you have an attorney present. If you chose this route, you and/or your parents should schedule a follow-up consultation with a Bronx criminal/family law attorney.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.


Keep in mind that "sexual conduct" encompasses far more than just intercourse, and he would not necessarily be legally safe by inapplicability of the charge of statutory rape, as other charges could apply because of the age difference stated.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer