Please help and give real answers. I'm a 17 year old who is dating a person who is 19. We're both from strict religious families

Denver, CO |

So if we haven't done any sexual contact nor intercourse would this still be considered illegal? Both families support our relationship and we have been together for half a year now and for the most part it is a long distance relationship. Are we committing a felony we would like to know because though we love each other we can Waite till I am of a legal age to resume our relationship. But would it still be a felony though?

Bottom line - you are doing nothing illegal - You are of age - and so is he. Of course - being of age does not necessarily me it is the moral thing to do to take the relationship to the next stage without parental involvement.. But that is me speaking as a parent - not as a lawyer.. Here is an article that may help you.. good luck.. H

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

You are fine. It is perfectly legal.

Thank you so so much H. you've helped us so much. Also thank you for responding with not only a attorney's view but also a caring father. We are both waiting for marriage or when we have spent at least a couple more years till we start motioning to the next stage. I was just worried that because of my birth year that our relationship would hinder his chance in his future because in some states it's a 40 year felony because it can be sorted into abduction as you know. Once again thank you and May whatever light you believe in be strong and that you have many good years.

The age of consent in CO is 17 so you are not illegal.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

You are fine. It is perfectly legal.

Thank you Christopher and Robert I hope you will have a good day.

Attorney Steinberg offers you excellent advice. You are doing nothing illegal dating. Good luck.
a

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

You are fine. It is perfectly legal.

You seem to have a guilty conscience. What's up with that? Very difficult to commit any felonies in the course of a long-distance relationship unless he sends you illicit pictures of himself or others... Best of luck to you two young people.

Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney--San Diego County--Free Consultations.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

You are fine. It is perfectly legal.

Thank you jay for the help and I heard from an advisor that anyone could call him in and he could be charged with many crimes including abduction I was fearful that something could go horribly wrong and he would have that charge in his records. I hope only the best for him and would feel guilty if I was the one bringing him down from his dreams even though he would say this is his choice too. Thank you again have a good day.