Skip to main content

PLEASE HELP!!! Can i hold my child if his father refuses to take our son on his day?

Black River Falls, WI |

I live in Wisconsin and have 50/50 custody with my sons father. This is the second time our son has gotten sick while with me. When i let Jake know, my sons father, he says he does not want him there and will get him the next day. I have mediation in place with specific days and times. My big question here is can i tell his dad that he cant have him till his next pick up day since he is refusing to take him now? I need help right away!!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You should be talking with YOUR lawyer with this question.

You have to follow the custody arrangement as set by the court. So does he.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.


Your question is whether a placement order is "all or nothing" and the answer is no. It is pretty selfish of him to not take him when he is sick and let you have to do all of the hard work. In any future court actions, this will work against him. However, if he wants to pick him up at any time during his court ordered placement, he is free to do so. That is his scheduled time. If you have issues with how your placement arrangement is working, you should talk to an attorney about going back to court to modify. I would caution you not to do that based on only 2 incidents, though.