Plead gulity to DUI in non-resident state of Colorado. Have Texas license which was never suspended. CO DMV states "no record"

Arlington, TX |

I received a DUI in Colorado two years ago and plead gulity. The judge give me three months to do CS, pay fines etc and now the case is closed. I check the CBI and my record is there, however, I contacted my lawyer to see if indeed I have a full conviction and he went to the DMV to pull my record and it stated "No Record" found. I am a Texas resident who was visiting Colorado when this happened. My Texas license is valid and so is my Texas criminal record. So, what does all this mean? Am I convicted of DUI since the CBI has a charge of DUI on me or not? I know there are two sides to a DUI, but I'm just trying to understand since I am seeking employment and will have background checks, etc.

Seek a solid clarification from the counsel of record who worked and completed that quasi criminal state case on your behalf. Even if the driving record may be zero, yet, your criminal record may have some entries which you need to clarify for your future employment purposes.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

Who would I need to speak with? Does it sound like I have a conviction? I have ran BG checks on myself and no records show.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Speak with that state criminal defense counsel and obtain a Certified Criminal Disposition from the Clerk of the criminal court here the case was adjudicated. Thank you kindly for marking the answer as helpful.

You got lucky it looks like the DUI was never reported to Texas. You will have a criminal record in Colorado but your license was not suspended.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at www.theocduiguy.com.

So should that record show up in a national database background check?

Could this come back on me later or since the case is closed would it be considered over?

Sometimes administrative mistakes happen, and it may even appear that it has happened in your favor. Do not let this lull you into a false sense of security. Seek the clarification mentioned above and disclose the the issue on employment applications and background checks if/when asked.