Skip to main content

Placed son's name on deed on property that was bought cash 10 yrs ago. He was only 18 and did not contribute to purchase.

Pembroke Pines, FL |

Can I remove his name from deed because he is now suing for half? I had just migrated from another country and we were not residents at that time. Was not able to make a will thats why his name was added to deed. Can his name be removed because he did not contribute to the upkeep or purchase of property and he is no longer living in this house. Can he or a judge force me to sell property? On what grounds can I contest and do I have a chance of getting him off the deed?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


This is a question that you should pose to the lawyer who is representing you in the lawsuit. Generally, you cannot remove him from the deed without his consent, but you may be able to bring an action for partition and an accounting of expenses.

Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Actual legal advice can only be provided after completing a comprehensive consultation in which all of the relevant facts are discussed and reviewed.


By placing your son's name on the deed you gifted a portion of the property to him.

If he has never contributed to the purchase, mortgage, taxes, etc, you should ask for an accounting.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.


To answer your question - no, you cannot simply remove his name from the deed. He is, for better or worse, half owner of the home with you. It does not matter at all what reason you had at the time you added him to the deed. You need to hire an attorney as the sale of the property is probably going to happen via partition action. You will need to establish your contributions to the purchase and maintenance of the property. Your lawyer should be able to take care of this for you.

Carol Johnson Law Firm, P.A. : (727) 647-6645 : : Wills, Trusts, Real Property, Probate, Special Needs: Information provided here is anecdotal and should not be relied upon or considered legal advice. Every matter is different and answers given here are general in nature and may not reflect current Florida law at the time you are reading this posting. Please contact me if you feel you need additional assistance with your matter.


You cannot remove his name as quickly as you added his name, unfortunately. This is a matter that may have to be decided by a Judge if you all cannot agree. Try Mediation so that you all can resolve this matter without the vexation associated with litigation. If no possibility of a mutually beneficial resolution, a partition action will be necessary. The Judge may order one of you to "buy-out" the other OR order that the property be sold. Make sure you have all receipts for money spent by you in the preservation of the property -- maintenance, taxes, insurance, etc.


I agree with my colleagues. Unfortunately, you cannot just remove your son from the deed. It sounds like your son filed a partition action. You may want to try to mediate the case in order to avoid the expense associated with litigation. Many attorneys on here, including myself, offer free initial consultations. Best of luck!

Natalie Guerra-Valdes

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. The information contained in this Website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer