Skip to main content

Petty theft misdemeanor, how do i get rid of it?

Salton City, CA |

i live in CA & in 2006 & i was 18, i got caught stealing $100 worth of stuff and i had a court date & i went. I pleaded guilty cus it was true and i paid off the court fees and i was done with my 2yr court probation in 2008. i want to take that misdemeanor off my background because I'm a mother of 2 and I really need to get a job, I'm a medical assistant and I'm currently going to apply in college to be an RN. Ever since that theft I felt really stupid and I have not done anything against the law. It happened in Salton City, CA by Palm Springs. So please help me. I need to get rid of this, I don't want this to stop me from supporting my kids & I don't want this to be the reason that my nursing school wil stop. So please help me. Do i have to pay anything? how much? how long? Thank You!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Once you are off probation and all of your fines and fees are paid and all of the terms of probation have been complied with you are eligible to have your misdemeanor expunged.

Sometimes probation will charge you a fee of $120 for doing the expungement. You can always ask the judge to waive this fee. It usually takes about 3 weeks once the paperwork is filed to get done. Most criminal court clerks will have the paperwork you need to file the expungment.

Once expunged youcould then tell private employers that you have never been convicted of a crime. Violations of probation sometimes complicates matters but if you have been crime free most judges will grant your request. You can do it your self or you can have an attorney do it for you. Nolo press publishes a book on how to do expungements for about $20. Good luck and I would recommend you get them expunged.


Keep in mind that even if an "expungement" (more correctly a dismissal pursuant to Penal Code section 1203.4) is granted, you may still be required to disclose it for professional licensing matters.

The California BRN application requires that you disclose prior convictions even if they were expunged.

You may want to consult with an attorney that specifically deals with professional licensing issues to discuss your situation and how to best proceed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer