Skip to main content

Petitioning for a spouse but unsure of question on I-130 application.

Ontario, CA |

Im going to be petitioning for my wife soon and submiting the I-130 , i see that it asks if she used another name before, she has a first and middle name along with 2 last names on her legal papers but she has used only her middle name and first last name for a lot of things (i,e. work, etc) ... for example her passport reads "Ana Elena Marquez Gomez", but she has always gone by "Elena Marquez", would that be considered using another name if she only used parts of her name or? . Do I need to mark it on the application as another name? thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Any names used that vary from the name she uses in daily life and/or as indicated on her vital documents should be disclosed. I recommend that you consult with a qualified US Immigration & Nationality attorney for further guidance.


Just disclose all the names just like you did here. Use her legal name first and then add aka.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Yes, those are other names.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Yes mark it as another name.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


I would put all her legal names or the different variations that she has used previously. Good luck.

Disclaimer: This information is of a general nature and is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Doreen A. Emenike, Attorney at Law


Yes. If her name is listed any other way in any documentation (whether in government-issued or not), list that name under "Other Names Used" to ensure that the right information is pulled for immigration purposes. Be sure to consult an immigration attorney if she has used her various last names and middle names in different orders.

Law Office of Stacy Chiang. 415-765-1506. Mandarin and Cantonese speaking. Please be advised that the above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.