Skip to main content

Petition to change a minor last name

Granbury, TX |

I am in the process of getting petition ready , the bio father is deceased . I did mark the area where it says no other legal relationship with child because other parent is dead . But , do I need to put my husband , thier stepfather on this document . Since , it is his last name they will be taking . I thought putting it in the field of why my children want thier name changed . To have same surname as mother and stepfather .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

If there have never been any court orders for visitation, conservatorship, or guardianship between your children and their stepfather, then they do not have a legal relationship. You can write in the reason is to have the same last name as mother and step father and you will also tell the judge this when you are proving up the final order.



Thanks so much!!!


I would suggest just to be certain that you complete the entire package and leave any blanks you are unsure of and bring them to the court clerk, he or she will know definatively, because every court has their own process and if you ask nicely they will certainly help. take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.