Skip to main content

Petit Theft - What are the legal ramifications and will this be seen on a background check? Will this appear on my policerecord?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

I was caught stealing from Publix in Fort Lauderdale Florida, my DL was copied and my picture taken with the item ($16.00), LP told me they will give me break and did not have the cops arrest me. I was told a civil suit would be brought against me for either 5 x times the item or $250.00. I was not given an NTA, nor were the cops there.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


They are too busy to spend time in court with you. Since there was no arrest, there is no record. If the civil demand letter is from an out of state law firm, you can ignore that too.

Attorney Mitchell S. Sexner
Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC /o
Defending your rights since 1990
1 (800) 996 -4824
Email: :
Website: Criminal and Traffic Attorneys

Answers presented on this website are intended only for informational purposes and any use of the contained material is at the users own risk. Answers are intended exclusively as a public resource for general information, and this information is intended, but is not promised or guaranteed to be, correct, up-to-date, or complete. This material is not intended to constitute legal advice, as an agreement to create an attorney-client relationship with the law offices of Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC, or the provision of legal services, and receipt of this information does not constitute such an agreement. If legal or other specific expert advice is required, then the services of a competent professional should be sought.O


If you were told the truth and the information is not forwarded to the State, you will have no record. The civil remedy is pursuant to statute. The store may choose to pusue the criminal charge if the civil suit is ignored. In either case, if you need additional assistance feel free to contact me for a free consult.

Contact through this site alone does not establish a client lawyer relationship. This information is not to be used as a substitute for consulting with an attorney. I or any of the attorneys at longwelllawyers would be happy to give a free consultation. Call 407-426-5757. <p><a href="" target="_blank">Longwell Lawyers</a><br /> <a href="" target="_blank">Orlando Criminal Defense Attorneys</a><br /> <a href="" target="_blank">Orlando Family Law Attorneys</a></p>

Mark Nickolas Longwell

Mark Nickolas Longwell


You can have an attorney check with the State to make sure a non-arrest case isn't filtering through the system.


You got lucky. Hopefully a lesson learned.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer