Skip to main content

Personal possessions of a parent.

San Diego, CA |

If a parent moves out of a home and into a retirement home to live, and leaves the bulk of their possessions with an adult child, do the possessions left with the child become their legal property? So, if the parent dies, are the possessions they took with them to the retirement home then considered their estates only personal possessions?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Assuming the property was not abandoned, and it doesn't sound like it was, it still remains the possession of the parent. The same holds true for any other property that the parent owned prior to going to the retirement home, it still is part of their estate upon their death. You might want to discuss this with an attorney who specializes in probate and estate law. Most attorneys will give a free initial consultation to discuss your situation. Good luck.

William Daley DUI / Criminal Defense / Personal injury
Tele: (619) 238-1905


This is a question that should be posed in a forum for Trust and Estate Attorneys, it has no relevance to Criminal Law.

I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a phone or office conference. Please call my office at 619-231-0401 or visit my website at


This really is not a criminal defense question. However that being said NO their property is still their property. You do not have to have all your worldly possessions within arms length when you die. I find it sad that the poor parents are not even cold in the grave and their dirt bag kids are fighting over the remains.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at


Not a criminal defense question unless you make the foolish choice to act like that is your property.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer