Skip to main content

Pending I-485 and changing the address ..

Arlington, VA |

I've filed my I-485 under Employment Based category last week and for some emergency situation, I had to move out of state for couple of months from VA to IL. I will be receiving a receipt notice from USCIS anytime soon and wondering if I could change the address. I don't feel comfortable with my roommates where I will be receiving mails from USCIS and I wanted to know if I should open a P.O Box in VA . That way I can get all my mails from USCIS directly to my P.O Box ? Any words on this would be much appreciated.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


The general rule is that USCIS will not deliver to P.O.Boxes. Proceed at your own risk. Best practice will be to pay some more money and get a real street address with a "suite" number or a "number", period.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


And notify the CIS of the address change.


Hopefully you had a lawyer help and he/she can use his/her address for you.

Hopefully you, or your lawyer, filed a G-1145 ... with the receipt number you received by e-mail you can call CIS.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I agree. USCIS generally will not deliver to PO Box addresses. Use an attorney address, or a different address of someone you trust. But yes, you can file a change of address.

Just be careful because we have seen a lot of mail related issues and it's usually because Post Office and USCIS are very strict and particular about delivery of mail. If there's even a small issue, it will not be delivered.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.


I agree with the other attorneys that P.O boxes are a bad idea. I would also add that if you are going to do a change of address, consider using the online change of address option on website. It allows you to do a general change of address and then do one for each form you have pending using the receipt numbers (like I-485, I-765, I-131 etc....) and more importantly gives you a confirmation number of each change of address you have done.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer