Skip to main content

Pending Asylum a hurdle to get enrolled in US Army?

Newark, NJ |

I received NOID ( Notice of Intent to Deny) and then submitted new evidences within 16 days for my political asylum. But I haven't got any decision made on my case yet and it has been 3 months already. I am applying for US Army in the meantime. Would this pending asylum case be a big hurdle for me to get enlisted in US Army?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I think you should talk with the Army recruiter.

800-688-7892, Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only. It is not to be construed as legal advice. We promise to zealously represent you - but as with any legal matter, we cannot predict the approval of your case based on our past successes. Each case is different. If you are in a similar situation, we would recommend that you contact us to discuss your case.


I believe you need to be at least an LPR to serve. Disclose your status to the recruiter

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


Your big hurdle is you are not eligible for the army because you are not a permanent resident of citizen. If you are approved for asylum, you'll be on your way. If you are denied, you need to speak with a lawyer immediately. It would actually be wise to speak with a lawyer now because if you are missing information in your asylum application a lawyer may be able to cure the problem before a decision is made.


I agree with my colleagues. I believe you need to be an LPR to join the army.


A foreign national should always use an immigration lawyer for an asylum application. Very difficult to win with a lawyer, and virtually impossible to win without one.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website: