Penalties / points / fine for ticket of unlicensed driver and driving on part not intended for passengers. Plead guilty or not

Marlboro, NJ |

I'm 16. New Jersey. Last weekend I was in the drivers seat of my friend's car, he's 20. We were at a party about to leave, we had bout 7 people in the car including me and everyone in the vehicle was intoxicated except me. The officer Cknowledged I was sober but still gave m I did not have any intention on driving but I turned on the car to move up. I moved about a foot & a cop physically walks over and tells me I am getting a summons in the mail. I received two tickets a couple days ago. I have court next week. Is it worth pleading not guilty? I need advice. **Last year I was guilty of driving without a license as well, went to court pled guilty and received 2pts, $700 fine and 6 month suspension on my non existent license

Absolutely a terrible idea to plead guilty without first consulting with a knowlegable and experienced attorney. I am right nearby in Freehold and would be pleased to have you make an appointment to discuss your case. I can be reached at (732) 780-3090.

Do you have an office that i could stop by at this weekend?

More information is needed. If you mean moved the seat up you may be OK. If you moved the car you operated the car for purposes of a ticket. If you plea you lose you ability to get a license for another 6 months.

I didn't move the seat up, I moved the car up a foot, not even. I'm aware it's still considered driving. Do you know what the fines could be up to considering its my second offense? Do i get more points?

I'm pretty sure the ticket for riding on part not intended for passengers is at most $50 no point ticket, right?

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

The 3-10 fine is a minimum $200 to $500 but depending how you read the statute can be up to 60 days in jail. i've never seen that but i have never seen multiple 3-10s before 17. The other ticket depends on the citation number. Crossing a sidewalk is a low fine. 39:4-71. $50 is the minimum on most fo these.

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

I ned the citation number there are a few that could have been written.

I think this is the citation number for "riding on part not intended for passengers" : 004441 and for "unlicensed driver" it is: 004441

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

I think you e giving me the ticket number. The citiation number is about 3/4 down the ticket in the middle. "unlicensed" is 39:3-10 for sure.

Oh sorry, riding on part not intended for passengers is 39: 4-69

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

I misunderstood your original post then. 4-69 in for someone riding on the hood or trunk or hackback or truckbed of a car (not in the paasenger seat) not where the car was driving. It is 0 points and is max. $50 plus court costs.

Wait.. can i fight that then? No one was violating any of those terms. The only thing was violated was too many people in the car, but that ticket isnt exactly relevant to that

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

You problem is the 3-10 not the 4-69. Why fight a $50 ticket when yo need a break on the 3-10

Thank you for your email.

You are looking at some very serious charges that can be very costly.

The short answer is, plead not guilty and consult with a knowledgable lawyer who knows that court.

I am a former municipal prosecutor. I handle these cases routinely.

My office is in Freehold. I know this Court.

Please feel free to call my office (732.303.6430) or email me (andrew@blumerlw.com) if you wish to discuss this further.

-Andrew Blumer, Esq.

***DISCLAIMER: the providing of this information does not legal advice and does not create any attorney-client relationship***