Skip to main content

Path to Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident through military service?

Chicago, IL |

In brief, I have my bachelor's degree in engineering, but currently I am out of status. (over one year) I was on student visa. I would like to explore my options including military services and other possible ways to fix my current status. Thank you.

all my high school and college-level educations were received in the States.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Try contacting a US military recruiter. They do have a number of different programs, but they must admit you.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


There may be some risk with being here on a student VISA. My advice is to actually hire an immigration lawyer, and figure out the safest path. A recruiter may or may not give you the 'best' information. There are ways to earn citizenship through the military, but I wouldn't take the 'advice' you get on Avvo as solid enough to embark on a risky endeavor like this without some concrete legal assurances from a hired attorney. The gamble could fail and you could find yourself in deep problems. I am not an immigration or Illinois attorney and have not offered legal advice. Best of luck.

*NOT LEGAL ADVICE. YOU HAVE NOT PAID ME A RETAINER. WE DO NOT HAVE AN ATTORNEY CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. This is general information for educational purposes only. You should always hire a lawyer and reveal all the unique facts to get the best answer for your unique situation. Answering this question on a public forum does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Out of status at present does not have any lawful right to legalize to LPR or USC by joining the US Armed Forces.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois


There are programs for people with particular job skills or language skills in the military, however you must be in legal status to be admitted. Once you are enlisted, there is a fast tarck to U.S. citizenship and some other benefits to certain relatives. You would do best to consult privately with an attorney to see if there is any status available to you, and then see if the military is an option.

This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.