Skip to main content

Patent attorney who loves basketball? Hopefully one who played high school basketball and/or college ball for patent discussion?

Orlando, FL |

How can I find a patent attorney who loves basketball? Hopefully one who played high school basketball and/or college ball? I'd like to talk to someone about a basketball related patent, and I think someone who has played hoops will be much more interested, and might see the monetary value of it quickly. Anyone with sports related patents would also be good to talk it over with. Should be a registered patent attorney at the US Patent Office as well. I'd also like a link to obtained patents. Sorry, if I'm not asking too much! I'm a relative newbie here. Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Most of us have played baskeball, some like me in high school, most just for hobby or exercise. You do not need someone who loves basketball. If you are considering applying for a patent, you need someone who can advise you properly as to whether a patent is what you need, whether your invention is novel and unobvious (that will generally require a patent search) and who can draft a great patent application for you to cover your great invention. As to a link to obtained patents, whatever you mean by that, you might start with GAPS (Google Advanced Patent Search) You are not asking too much, you are asking too little.

What you really need is to review the answers you get, pick one of the attorneys, and then call for a free initial consultation so you can confidentially discuss the details of your invention and get specific advice of a confidential and reliable nature. This is Federal law, so the location of the patent attorney is less important than the skill and interest. Patent attorneys are not cheap, but as noted we all do free or low cost initial consultations. This is a complex field, so take advantage of such a consultation and you will be very glad you did.

So far, this is free to you. Until you pay a fee, I am not your lawyer and you are not my client, so you take any free advice at your sole risk. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.


I can assure you that Mr. Burdick is the perfect candidate to help you. You need to be realistic about timing and cost--and there are many potential risks that you should discuss with Mr. Burdick. You will probably need to invest $5,000 or more in attorneys fees---it is not uncommon for companies to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in attorneys fees to obtain appropriate patent protection and related "freedom to operate" analyses. Remember--you not only need to apply for a patent---you also need to find out whether you can pursue your invention without violating patents and other IP rights owned by others. Lawyers do not handle work like this on a contingency basis---if you are looking for free legal services or for someone to handle this on a contingency you will probably not find a competent attorney.


Definitely seek out your own patent attorney to help you.

You have already gotten good answers here; so I will not repeat them. I will add that instead of focusing on getting a "basketball player," it might be better to focus on getting a patent attorney having the legal experience to help you and the technical experience to understand your invention. All patent attorneys have some type of technical or scientific education and/or background in addition to their law degree. I think you might prefer a patent attorney with a Master's in engineering over one who is a former college player but has a Ph.D. in microbiology. Not that the latter would be incapable of drafting a patent application for you; but my guess is the former would be better equipped to do so.

Best of Luck!

Legal disclaimer: This answer is not legal advice, but is for informational purposes only. My answer to your question does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. Please contact a licensed attorney in your area for competent legal advice.