Skip to main content

Past due child support, criminal case

Arlington, MA |

Hello, My ex-husband owes over $78,000.00 in child support. He has run away from the country, as soon as he had been find guilty with assault & battery. DOR is only reporting him to credit burrows. I know he is having lavish life in Europe. Can I file legal or criminal case to make sure he would not be able to come to US for leisure, denied any US visa, loan, grand etc. He is not involved in children lives and never requested a visitation. Children deserve to have a good education

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

If your ex-husband owes that much in child support, he should be on the lists maintained by DOR/CSE which reports to various law enforcement agencies, including customs, which should ensure that he would be picked up by police if he tries to re-enter the country.

Best wishes.

No attorney-client relatonship is created in responding to this question, and advice provided is based solely on very limited facts presented, and therefore may not be correct. You are advised that it is always best to contact a competent and experienced with the practice of law in the county in which you reside, particularly as it relates to family law, child support, custody and visitation (a/k/a "parenting time") issues, including 209A abuse-prevention restraining orders (a/k/a "ROs" in legal-speak), regarding un-emancipated children, under the age of 22.



thank you very much for your answer. I really appreciate your quick response


Attorney Molloy is correct. You should contact DOR and ask what enforcement remedies are being used in your case. DOR has a wide range of administrative remedies that can use against your ex-husband, you only need to ask for them to be enforced. You can contact DOR at 800-332-2733. Good luck!

NOTE: This answer is for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your area who regularly practices in the subject matter which your question is about. You should develop an attorney client relationship with the lawyer of your choice so that your communications will be subject to the attorney client privilege and have the other benefits of a professional relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific matter as partially described in the question



thank you for quick response. online case updates only indicates him to be reported to credit bureaus. but I will reach out to dor. Best. Julia


I just want to add to Attorney Molloy's succinct and correct assessment that you also may have options to seize assets if they are located in the United States. If you think this is possible, or that you may be able to find assets, you should speak to a lawyer about this.

This message does not contain confidential information, is intended for the discussion of abstract legal issues, and does not create a co-counsel or attorney-client relationship in the absence of a written fee agreement. Do not post a reply to this message with confidential information. If you wish to communicate confidential information, you should contact me directly at; I would be happy to offer a free consultation concerning your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer