Skip to main content

Partnership question - I don't know defendants' general partnership name, only their FBNs.

San Luis Obispo, CA |

When I served form interrogatories DISC-001 on defendants, they said they were a general partnership, with the 2 fictitious business names that I knew of.

Hoover's, and Dun & Bradstreet, have a name for the partnership that is a combination of the 2 FBNs.

I don’t really know what the name of the general partnership is.

There’s no FBN statement filed, I checked the county database online and spoke with the county clerk.

Is there someplace on the Sacramento Secretary of State website to check for general partnerships?

So far I can only find a place to search for corporations.

Right now I feel as if I'm suing a FBN and one partner, not the partnership business.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

If they didn’t file an FBN, you can be pretty sure they didn’t file a GP-1 Statement of Ptsh Authority with SoS. An entity that is required to file an FBN and doesn’t may not “maintain an action” in any court in this state till it files. I think that just means they can’t sue, but they can defend, but I could be wrong. Sounds like you need a detective. You might try calling an attorney’s service in SLO. Or you could call my attorney’s service, Parasec in Sacto: 800-533-7272.

DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. The answer could be different if all the facts were known. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. I am admitted only in California. (Bryant) Keith Martin



Thank you - great idea


I agree with the prior response. Further, see if the business is licensed by anyone (e.g. sales tax, alcohol, real estate etc.). They may have filed documents with the licensing authorities clarifying who they are.

Do not make a decision that could impact your income on a quick internet question, and quick answer. You should fully discuss with an attorney before proceeding.



Thank you so much - great idea