Partner's going to prison but we want to tie the knot - what's the difference between a domestic partnership and marriage.... pa

New York, NY |

My partner is about to go to prison and we want to tie the knot before he goes. The problem is that we have to wait until 7/24 to go to the marriage clerk if we want to get married (which just cuts it too close to his prison date) so I want to understand the difference between a domestic partnership and marriage before we decide what to do.

Consult a PA attorney by checking the tab above"Find a Lawyer"

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced 39+ yrs. I can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practicein Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. I give only appointments over the phone., these services do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ and I would appreciate it if you feel like marking my answers helpful or best. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are court documents , less expensive.

There are so many differences, impossible to state them all. You need to talk to an attorney.

The differences are enormous. Essentially a domestic partnership gets just about nothing except health insurance. There are more than a thousand federal and state rights inherent in marriage...and in the case of prison, conjugal visits is one of them. Speak to an attorney well versed on family law.