Skip to main content

Partner and I cohabitated for 10 yrs in Ca; he now left; took car he helped me finance; I cannot go to work

Thousand Oaks, CA |

Promised to payrent and make pmts on car; my other car was used as a down payment of $10,000; car in his name; didn't pay rent as promised either and took our dog;;; what are my rights. i only work part time; still has roomful of belongings here.

+ Read More

Filed under: Small claims court
Attorney answers 3


You can sue him for the agreement to pay rent and for your amount of the down payment. Also custody of the dog needs to be worked out. You can't do anything about support if you were not married.

This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation. Call us for more information. 619.797.5456


The Marvin case says you can sue... but that case and such situations general say it's not likely to sort you out. Your only easily accessed "rights" and to dispose if the belongings and MAYBE to sue in small claims court ti get your dog back. Not every human error can be fixed by a lawsuit, Boston Legal (a show I love BTW) notwithstanding.

Good luck

Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a final legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him or her. Me Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue.


You have an obligation in pursuing a claim for damages to mitigate your losses. I'd get a rental car rather than lose work unless your work is poorly paying.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer