Skip to main content

Parents arrived to usa with green card. Can I get them financial support?

Chicago, IL |

Seniors live with me. Put their savings, $3000, in American bank. I am their daughter and American citizen. I am unemployed and husband retired US citizen. We are paying mortgage on our home.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


How did they get their green cards? If you petitioned for them, then you signed an I-864 affidavit of support. That affidavit of support is exactly what it says it is--and agreement to support the immigrants. You and any co-sponsors are the ones who are responsible for supporting your parents. As new permanent residents, they will not be eligible for most government benefits for at least 5 years.

See link below for more about the I-864 and duty of support.

Law Office of Mary K. Neal | || 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.


If you are asking if they are eligible for federal, needs based public benefits, no they are not. If you are asking about State of Illinois or local benefits, probably they can get these. Your affidavit of support makes you liable to reimburse any public funds used to support your parents.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


There is no reason why you, their daughter, should not be able to support them financially of your own volition. As for the government being obligated to, that is another story (see previous responses given on state and federal assistance eligibility). If you signed an affidavit of support on your parents' behalf, you indeed have certain financial obligations to them, whether you now want to or not. But the way your question was asked sounds to me like you are willing to help them out and from what I can see in your fact pattern there should be no reason why you can't. Hope this helps.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.


Not federal, yet, some Illinois financial support may be possible, please inquire at the respective state office further at the link below:

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer