Paasport denied while overseas

Chicago, IL |

Passport was denied while overseas and kept due to outstanding 2002 warrant. Have hired a lawyer to look at the matter. Told the embassy and have documentation from the lawyer. But they refuse to give me any travel documents or limited passport to return to the usa and sort out the case. Was never served with the warrant so did not know. Also have been living overseas for about 12 years. What can I do?

Keep in touch with your attorney and have him/her keep in touch with the Embassy

Suggest to your lawyer that he/she consider contacting a US Senator.

PS Beyond saying that there is an outstanding warrant, did the Embassy give you any other reason?

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

There was no other reason or detail other than the matter is in Michigan provided by the embassy. And what is strange is I renewed my passport while overseas in 2003 and twice added additional pages with no issues.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

The fact that you renewed your passport 10 years ago merely demonstrates that their computer database has improved.

If you are a US citizen, then consider a mandamus. If you are not a US citizen, then consider humanitarian parole once criminal case is reopened. If there is no criminal case, then this complicates matters.

I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney. Our office has handled such humanitarian paroles for such individuals in need.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

I am an American citizen. And from my reading of cfr 51.60 they should provide me with direct return passport. But when I asked the embassy they have refused. So how to meet an immigration lawyer and how long would the petition take as I am in Thailand.

Keep working with the attorney. A defense attorney may be able to get the criminal case dismissed.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

You have hired an attorney. Your best source of information and advice should be your lawyer. Your lawyer has all the facts and is in a better position to answer your questions. Since your practice area is indicated as Immigration, is it correct to assume you are not a US citizen?

I am an American citizen. My lawyer is a criminal defense lawyer and does not deal with embassy or federal issues.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

With all due respect to your lawyer, if he does not deal with embassy issues and federal crime, you need a second lawyer. I will change your practice area from Immigration to Federal cCrime to see if someone can add additional information for you.

That is fine. But there is no federal crime. It is a state of Michigan. But I was never arrested nor arrested. And have been to the american embassies in New Zealand and Singapore for renewal and additional pages and nothing cropped up. The state warrant is from 2002. That also confuses me since the embassy knew where I was all the time and I worked in and lived in some countries up to 5 years.

Sorry arrested or served..

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

You mentioned federal issues. I thought you meant federal crime. I'll change your practice area to criminal defense.

Yes passports are federal issue..but have criminal defense layer already in the jurisdiction. State charge. But my research on cfr 51.60 seems to say they should give me a direct return passport to deal with this. But they will not. Hence stuck in Thailand.