Skip to main content

Out of state accident

Worcester, MA |

I was involved in a car accident in NC and I live in MA. If I wanted to get a lawyer which state do I need to get one in?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Depends on who your defendants are. You most likely would want w-one in the state where the accident occurred. If the accident involved a large corporation's vehicle you may want, and be able to, bring the action in the state where you live.

Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.


A lawyer in any state can negotiate with the insurance company. If it has to go to court because the liability isn't clear, you would want to get a lawyer in the state the accident happened.

Click on the name or picture of the lawyer answering your question to see their profile, and then you can click the view website tab to find out detailed information on your personal injury topic. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.


It depends. You could hire a MA lawyer, but that lawyer could not file suit (assuming it is even necessary) unless he or she is licensed in NC.

Chris Earley


Either state will be fine. You may be able to settle without filing suit. If you file suit you can get an attorney from NC or MA. If a small accident that requires a suit, get one from NC. An attorney can do pro hac paperwork to handle a suit in another state if necessary. They may have to associate local counsel. We handle cases in a lot of different states with no problem.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.


I'm sorry to hear you were in an accident.

My advice would be to speak with an attorney in your own state first. If an action can be commenced here, that may be in your best interests. If the action cannot be maintained here, your attorney can assist you in finding local representation in North Carolina.

Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer