Skip to main content

Our married adult daughter was in a car accident in a vehicle that my husband co-owns with her. She has her own insurance

Raymond, NH |

Will my husband be legally liable for any damages/injuries caused by this accident that are above her policy limits since he is a co-owner of the vehicle? If so, will our auto insurance pay.? We do not own a house, so we do not have any other forms of insurance. We live with my mother who does have homeowner's insurance. Our daughter also lives with us.

The police report found her at fault and the other driver was seriously injured.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Your daughter needs to report this incident to her automobile liability insurance company and cooperate with their investigation of this matter. Depending on the facts, you, as a co-owner, may potentially have some liability. To be safe, I suggest you report this incident to your own automobile liability insurance company. Your daughter and you both need to cooperate with your respective insurance carriers in their investigation of this matter.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer