Our dog was attacked by two unleashed pitbulls while staying at a hotel in California. What liabilty does the hotel chain have?

Sparks, NV |

Your primary defendant are the dogs' owners.

IF the hotel knew/should have known that the dogs were a danger and/or that the owners were so negligent as to regularly let the dogs run free, it may also be liable.

Contact the NV and county bar associations for referrals to premises liability / animal law attorneys.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

This is a very serious issue. Under California law, the owner of a dog is strictly liable for any injuries caused by his dog's bite. The owner of the pitbulls is automatically liable to you for your dog's injuries. You also could very well have a premises liability case against the owner of the hotel for allowing these dangerous dogs to reside on the premises. Since you live in Nevada, you will need to consult with, and hire, a personal injury attorney in California to handle this case. This case sounds very promising, so you should not delay---hire an attorney to help you achieve justice for you and your pets.

Michael Elliott Rubinstein

Michael Elliott Rubinstein

To clarify--since this occurred in California, that's where you need to litigate this case. Also, unlike other states, California law is strongly favored to the victim of a dog bite. For these reasons, a California attorney should handle this matter.

I agree with the other two attorneys, and just want to add that unfortunately, since animals are considered personal property under the law, you are limited to the vet bills, and the decrease in value of your dog if you sue. Pain and suffering and emotional distress damages are not allowed for loss of, or damage to, personal property under the law.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.