Skip to main content

Our condo sliding door has the bar that comes down, but no pin and the actual lock on the door is broken

Irving, TX |

Do we have the right to ask for the landlord to fix the lock and to install a pin, at his expense?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you are renting the condo, then yes, typically the landlord is the party responsible for fixing security devices. Send a letter requesting repair by certified mail, return receipt requested, to your landlord. If you are not renting and you own the condo, and by "landlord" you mean property manager, then the door is likely your responsibility.

If this response was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. The response provided herein is for informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice, nor does it establish or intend to establish an attorney-client relationship. You should always speak with a licensed attorney regarding your legal rights before taking or not taking any particular action. In certain jurisdictions, this response may be considered an advertisement. In such circumstance, Kevin M. Koel is responsible for all content stated in the response. Kevin M. Koel is not certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization for any particular practice area, nor does Kevin M. Koel claim specialized knowledge in any practice area.


I agree with Mr. Koel. A certified letter is sufficient, but I also send one by regular mail as well in case the landlord does not pick up the certified letter at the post office. It just moves things along. Best of luck.

Actively practicing law in Texas. Inactive licenses in Arizona and Georgia. All answers are general in nature and no attorney/client relationship exists in this forum.