Skip to main content

Other than reconciliation, can I put my divorce on hold for financial reasons? I need to save money for a good attorney.

Chicago, IL |

We have not been for the status date yet. Can I ask to put the case on hold and for how long?
I also don't believe we can co-parent because of domestic issues and threats. If the judge won't allow me to hold for financial reasons, is mediation or counseling likely for a hold? I am the person that filed a petition or dissolution of marriage.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It appears you planned poorly for your case. If you do not have the money the proceed, you should not have filed in the first lace. You can hold out taking action but at some point in time, you will be required to go before the court for case management. You can of course, get your parenting class out of the way. In cook County, that is called Focus on Children. You must appear in court to get an Order for Focus. Both parties must go, but not to the same session. Your other alternative is to voluntarily dismiss the case and file again when you are ready.


See answers in your identical post.

This content is informational only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


You cannot put your case on hold for the reason of saving money in order to afford a lawyer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer