Skip to main content

Other options for 1st offense of possession of marijuana?

Chesapeake, VA |

I am from northern Virginia where I have had plenty of friends who instead of doing the first offenders program had their lawyers make and alternate deal with the prosecutor to get the case dismissed. One friend did 100 hours of community service and took a drug class. I've heard that every jurisdiction is different when it comes to what prosecutors will typically do. I got my first possession charge in Chesapeake, Virginia and I was wondering if anyone has made a similar deal or can refer me to someone who has or can make something like this happen if it's even possible ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Well, as you yourself pointed out, your friends all had lawyers to make their deals. You should consult with a local attorney regarding the charges and circumstances. I'll tell you that Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are the toughest jurisdictions for criminal cases in South Hampton Roads. You are not going to get a prosecutor or police officer to give you any deal without hiring an attorney to broker it, and then it's still a tough case.

Good luck.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

James Garrett
Garrett Law Group, PLC
(757) 422-4646

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.


In Chesapeake, the Commonwealth's Attorney normally do not prosecute possession of marijuana cases in General District Court. The judges that I go before use First Offender if the facts merit a conviction. However, there are very few absolutes in discussing criminal dispositions. If there was some compelling reason to justify an alternative then most judges would consider it.


Hire a competent criminal defense attorney to review the facts, your prior criminal record and negotiate for you.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


Every jurisdiction handles matters differently. Before you consider your options regarding a plea, it is important to find out whether a plea is even necessary. Meet with some local criminal defense attorneys to discuss you case. Many offer free consultations.

The information provided herein is intended solely for educational purposes and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please contact a local attorney for assistance with your matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer