Skip to main content

Osha employee rights

Seattle, WA |

If you worked for a medical facility and a patient was combative and had fecal matter, urine, or blood on body, or room had on floor or walls. as an employee can you insist you have disposable coveralls covering your whole attire (pants and shirt) plus booties instead of just a gown? can you be fired or disciplined for refusing to deal with until supplied?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


OSHA will evaluate the situation based on the industry standards. As a medical care provider dealing with body fluids is a common issue. If your employer is providing the industry standard in personal protection you likely will not be satisfied by OSHA's response. If you refuse to do the assigned work and OSHA finds no violation, you could be discharged for insubordination. That would create a potential problem for you with unemployment benefits.
You can be disciplined for refusal to follow an employer's lawful directives. If you believe that there is an imminent health or safety risk, you may be able to refuse to comply, but you still may be fired in an at-will employment state.
File the complaint with OSHA and let them investigate, before you decide to put your job at risk. You may want to consult with a labor attorney in Washington for further assistance.
All the best!

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer