Skip to main content

Original landlord didnt give us any notice of getting a new property manager we want to file for damages and lost possestions

Hop Bottom, PA |

"new" property manager threw out our stuff without an eviction notice and the month wasnt up we were only 3 weeks late with the rent we got a business card from a guy saying he was our new property manager and that we should deal with him from now on but our original landlord told us not to deal with him and this "new" property manager said not to deal with our oringinal landlord so we didnt pay september rent because we didnt know who to give it to our original landlord didnt give us any notice of getting a new property manager we want to file for damages and lost possestions cause they trew out alot of our stuff what should we do??? we have nothing now.....

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

First--a LL has no power to evict. Only a court does. Frequently, LL's bluff tenants into thinking they can evict you--the CANNOT. They have to take you to court to get an order of possession. No court, no eviction.

Second--the 'new' property manager who handled your stuff should be taken to court immediately--you should have called police the instant you discovered the trespass and property damage you suffered. What this person did is a crime as well as an action on which you can take him to court--sue for damages, attorney fees, maybe more.

Third--you should continue to pay rent to the party designated on your lease agreement until notified other wise by a new owner--not merely the new property manager.

Contact a landlord tenant attorney tomorrow (Monday).

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I give a 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.



Thank you so much! I did call the police and they said the same thing. Thank you again


You need to seek the assistance of an attorney. Neither the landlord nor the property manager have the right to evict you without proper notice and then seeking an order from a District Judge. If you cannot afford an attorney, I recommend you contact North Penn Legal Services:

Please remember to mark this answer as “Helpful” or “Best Answer” if appropriate. Thank you.


Marshall Chriswell

Law Offices of Marshall D. Chriswell
714 Philadelphia St., Suite 200
Indiana, PA 15701
(888) 438-5977
(724) 465-5826


Marshall D. Chriswell is a civil practitioner with offices in Indiana and Clearfield Counties. Mr. Chriswell's practice emphasizes Wills & Estate Planning, Probate, Real Estate, and general civil disputes.


Mr. Chriswell provides free initial consultations, and will gladly meet clients in their homes upon request, including on the evenings or weekends.

This communication does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney/client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, feel free to contact our offices.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer