Skip to main content

Order of Protection for Verbal Abuse

Richmond, VA |

I split with my boyfriend many months ago, and so far we've been handling the custody issue in a rather loose way (the child lives with me and my ex will occasionally contact me when he wants to spend a couple of hours with him). My ex's behavior is getting increasingly erratic and controlling. He's hit me in the past (at least 2 years ago) but recently has damaged my property. I'd like to have a legal custody order put in place., but I'm afraid of the blowback from my ex when he's served papers. He's threatened me in the past about going through the courts and has access to my house. I understand the concept of a protective order, but can that apply to a situation where I'm afraid he'll destroy my things and only harass and abuse me verbally?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You should consult local counsel with experience in these cases.

For more information on me, go to Please remember that if you find an answer particularly helpful, please mark it as helpful or "best answer" so that the attorneys who volunteer their time to answer these questions have feedback. This answer is only for informational purposes, is not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Every case is different and must be judged on its own unique facts.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer