Skip to main content

Options for recovering losses cause by ininsured driver and driving with suspended license

Fremont, CA |

In an accident with non-fault. Other driver is uninsured and driving with suspended license. I was surprised cops did not even put him in jail and allowed his friend to drive his car out of the scene. Now, my car has been repaired but paid $1k deductible(I don't have uninsured prop damage coverage). I have other property in the car like out of market bluetooth radio. etc which got damage during collision.
What are my options for recovering losses like above? Can I hire an atty to represent me and sue other party? Please help advise me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You should call your insurance company and ask them if they are going to subrogate against the at fault party. If so they should include your claim in with theirs. Be careful what you do as you do not want to interfere with your insurance companies right of subrogation. Start with your insurance company.


You may have a claim for UM benefits under your own policy. If you make a UM claim, your own carrier has the right to use all defenses that the other driver may have had against you. Many people make the mistake that they will be treated better by their own insurance company. This simply is not true. Your carrier will be allowed to assert all defenses available to the at-fault driver, and the carrier almost always does. A UM claim therefore essentially creates an adversarial relationship between you and your own insurance carrier.

If you wish to pursue a UIM/UM claim, contact a local personal injury attorney for a consultation. If you did not have this coverage, you may be able to pursue a claim against the at fault driver. Unfortunately, if they were driving without insurance and a suspended license, it may be difficult to recover much from them.

Any accident and legal information provided by Davis Law Group to non-clients is for general information purposes only. It is not a substitute for legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created or maintained without a signed written agreement between the client and the law firm.


Have a local personal injury lawyer investigate UM claim


Did you get injured in the car accident> If so, maybe your UM/UIM may be called into play. Call a local PI lawyer. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.