Skip to main content

Opposing party's attorney wants to negotiate prior to my contempt motion being heard in court. Is this a good sign?

Arlington, WA |

I recently served my ex-wife for violating our parenting plan and the order of support. She was found in contempt a year ago of the parenting plan and I have a strong case with all the evidence proving her denial of mediation, refusal to reimburse, taking more vacation than allowed by the order, etc. She retained an attorney and her attorney called my attorney's office to negotiate/mediate. I haven't been able to speak with my attorney but I'm curious if this is indicative of a poor defense? I have strictly adhered to the court orders and I am confident that there can be no counter-contempt and I don't see any way my ex-wife will be able to defend against my declaration along with the exhibits backing up my claims; most of this proof is my ex-wife's own written words.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The overwhelming majority of controversies are resolved through some kind of negotiation, so I would not read too much into the fact that your ex-wife's attorney is attempting to negotiate a resolution.

You should continue to rely on your attorney's expertise. Best wishes.


Every case is different, and the reasons for negotiations are different as well. Call your attorney again and ask him or her what the scenarios are under negotiating and under moving forward with your action.

Any answer given is an opinion based on facts presented and does not constitute legal advice.


Maybe yes, maybe no. Ask your attorney.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer