Skip to main content

Opening a business in Suffolk County NY

Lindenhurst, NY |

What do you need to open a business In Suffolk County? Permit and license wise?

Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I imagine it depends on what type of business you are opening. It makes sense to consult a local lawyer who handles opening businseses as mistakes can be costly.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


I agree with my colleague. More information is needed to answer this question, and you want to make sure to get very specific answers from an attorney with whom you have a relationship so he or she can get enough information to give you the correct advice and avoid potentially costly mistakes.

Law Office of Anne Marie Segal provides legal counsel to businesses and individuals. Please visit for more information. None of the information posted on this site constitutes legal advice or forms an attorney-client relationship. Answers are general in nature and there may be additional facts to consider for a comprehensive analysis of your question. This is a public forum. Please do not post confidential or fact-specific information regarding your legal questions on this site. Postings on this site may constitute ATTORNEY ADVERTISING. Past performance does not guarantee future results.


Without greater detail on your business it is impossible to answer your question. Permits and licenses usually depend on the industry in which the business operates. Certain industries are heavily regulated by state or municipal laws. Additionally there are multiple types of business structures that require additional permits and licenses to operate legally.

Two examples:
1) Home businesses often need approval from the city/town zoning board in order to operate legally.
2) Not everybody can open up a law practice. You need to hold a special license from New York State to operate or own a law practice.

I suggest you visit the New York State Department of State website and look at the resources that are available to new small business owners.

Additionally, you should at least schedule a free consultation with a Business Lawyer. Most business lawyers, including myself, offer free consultations. As helpful as the internet is, sometimes there is no substitute for a professional.

Good luck with your business.

This answer is general information only. No legal advice is given in this answer. No attorney-client relationship is established based on this answer. To receive accurate legal advice, please follow up with an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer