Skip to main content

Open records request for video footage in Texas of car accident on Dallas North Tollroad which resulted in my arrest.

Dallas, TX |

I requested footage of my accident on the North Texas Tollroad, which is managed by the NTTA, they forwarded me to the arresting officer and said they had no issues with the DPS releasing my footage. The Trooper told me they had already forwarded the video to the DA with the case report, but my best bet was to make an Open Records Request to the Public Information Office.

The Public Info Office told me to contact the NTTA, I told them how I had & they told me to contact the trooper who advised me to make this Open Records Request.

Next Public Info Office told me I should contact the DA as suggested and the PIO was separate from the NTTA & the DA. They also mentioned the City of Dallas does not retain this information.

Does all of this sound correct or was somebody, perhaps me, mistaken?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


You should let your lawyer handle getting a copy of the video. They always give citizens, and especially accused people, the runaround.

Cynthia Henley


Time to talk with a local attorney.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


If a trooper investigated the accident, you should be able to obtain the full accident investigation report from the Texas Department of Public Safety. The trooper likely obtained a copy of the video from NTTA and it should be in the investigation file. If you try to get it from NTTA, you will probably continue to get the "runaround" about how you can actually obtain the video. Here is the link to the public information request on the DPS' website:

Hope this helps--good luck!

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship for purposes of representation, privileged communication, liability, or otherwise. This statement was based on general assumptions that may not apply to the specific facts of your case, so it is not advisable to act upon this response without further discussion. If you would like to explore this matter further, please contact Mr. Ivy through the contact information provided in his profile, or visit his law firm's website:


You should immediately consult with a local criminal defense attorney to help unravel what sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare.


A local lawyer can easily get the footage.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


I would strongly urge you to contact a local attorney to represent you and advocate on your behalf. He or she should be able to get the footage.


In these situations you can not do an Open Records Request because the state will see it as an attempt to bypass the discovery process of the criminal courts. If you've been charged with a crime, you'll have to wait and get the video from the DAs office.

If it is for a civil suit too, the video will not be released by DPS until the criminal matter is concluded. Hire an attorney on your criminal case and they will be able to view the video. Good luck and feel free to contact me to discuss your options.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing