Skip to main content

One of the steps broke in at my apartment causing me to fall down injure my eye and break. ive been out of work for two weeks

Glenolden, PA |

i got metal lodged in my eye and had to go to the E.R. overnight and continue to go to the eye dr i am in constant pain and i have to be excused from work until my eye gets better, then i have to depend on friends and family to help me with day to day functions until i have healed. can i ask the landlords insurance company for pain and suffering? how much is too much?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9

Best Answer

I caution you not to try to handle this on your own. Based on the information you provided you may have a case. But, it depends on many different issues. A consultation with a good premises liability/slip and fall lawyer is a must. Within 5 minutes you will know the prospects of winning your case. The issues in these cases are complex and you should not try to tackle them on your own. Feel free to call me to discuss further.


It's impossible to give you an exact dollar figure of estimated case value from a one paragraph description of your injury. You need to retain an attorney to see that you get any and all proper medical treatment, obtain all medical records and bills, and then and only then, make a demand for settlement in a way that would maximize your recovery. You also need an attorney to analyze liability as this is not as straightforward as you would think and you would need to show that the landlord either knew or should have known about the step and obtain evidence to support that claim. Retain an attorney immediately. Mr. Kofsky may be able to help you as he is licensed in PA (see his AVVO profile).

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.



how much does a lawyer cost for something like this?


Before asking for the landlord's insurance, see if you can get an attorney to take on the case. The case, like most, will have two basic issues: 1. Liability and 2. Fault

Liability refers to the negligence (if any) of the landlord. How long had the step been broken for? When was the step last seen or inspected by the landlord? How obvious was the broken step? What was your knowledge of the broken step before the incident? Were there other stairs that you could have used? Were the steps built and maintained to code? There are other questions that should be addressed as well, but the ones mentioned are common ones. With respect to damages, the questions will be: How much are the medical bills? What care will you need in the future? Will the injuries be permanent? What kind and amount of insurance does the landlord have? Again, contact some attorneys in your area to see if you can get representation on this matter.


Hire a good personal injury lawyer in your local area to handle the case for you. You need an attorney to analyze the liability issues and your damages and to fight for you to attempt to obtain a fair and reasonable settlement!

The information above is for informational purposes only, is not intended as legal advice, and does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I'm sorry to hear about your eye. Please don't try to contact the insurance company directly, and don't make any statements. A personal injury lawyer should be retained to investigate this eye injury claim. To read more about eye injuries, you can visit my website.

The answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is for informational purposes only.

Lassen Law Firm
1515 Market St #1510
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755


I am so sorry that you are going through this. You should retain a personal injury attorney to determine liability and damages issues. One such issue would be the location of the steps that broke; was that in a common area under the control of your landlord, or was it in your apartment. That's a liability issue that needs to be examined.

It's difficult to determine what the value of any case is without examining the medical records and determining liability.

Best of luck to you.

Gladys Wiles
Snyder & Wiles, PC
7731 Main Street
Fogelsville, PA 18051

The information contained in this Website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this Website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Firm expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all the contents of this Website. Any information sent to The Firm by Internet e-mail or through the Website is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis. Transmission of information from this Website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Firm, nor is it intended to do so. The transmission of the Website, in part or in whole, and/or any communication with us via Internet e-mail through this site does not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship between us and any recipients. Some links within the Website may lead to other web-sites, including those operated and maintained by third parties. The Firm includes these links solely as a convenience to you, and the presence of such a link does not imply a responsibility for the linked site or an endorsement of the linked site, its operator, or its contents. This Website and its contents are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement. Furthermore, The Firm does not wish to represent anyone desiring representation based upon viewing this Website in a state where this Website fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state.


You have a serious case and should meet with an attorney for an extensive, in-person consultation. There are a lot of issues to discuss, but after you do you will have a better feel for what to do. You will generally do much better with an attorney than without one.
Steven F. Fairlie, Esq.
Fairlie & Lippy, P.C.
1501 Lower State Road, Suite 304
North Wales, PA 19454
voice: (215) 997-1000
fax: (215) 997-1777

Become a Fan of Fairlie & Lippy, P.C. on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter


You did not ask about medical bills and their payment. Please note an experienced attorney will look for insurance that may help with bills now as well as payment for pain and and suffering at the conclusion of the case. If you would like further information:

Please note that we are not forming an attorney - client relationship and the advice is meant to be general. Law Offices of Joel J. Kofsky 1616 Walnut Street Suite 2110 Philadelphia, PA 19103


There are a lot of factors that need to be considered however base on the bare facts presented you need to contact an attorney. The sooner an attorney is able to establish all the facts the sooner your case can go forward. As for damages, it's impossible to determine without reviewing your medical records and having and possibly consulting with an expert. I wish you luck and please contact an attorney to protect your rights.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer