Skip to main content

Once a B-1/B-2 visa is revoked, what actions should be taken to better your chances in getting approved for a new visa?

Baltimore, MD |

My friends B-1/B-2 visa was revoked for suspected abuse approximately 4 years ago. The last time she applied for a new visa in 2008 she was denied with no specific reasons. She was given a general denial letter.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Care must be taken to read the legal basis for the denial. There may be immigration options, but more information is needed. It seems that she may have abused a non-immigrant visa in the past, which may indefinitely frustrate her chances of ever getting a visitor visa.

I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a candid and experienced immigration attorney. Perhaps, there is hope, but more information is needed about this relationship.

The above is general information and does not create an attorney client relationship.


In order to improve a foreign national’s chance of obtaining a B1/B2 visa after revocation and later denial, that person should contact an experienced attorney. Revocation and denials are not matters taken lightly by the Department of State. There are laws that may help your friend, but without the guidance of an immigration expert she may miss her opportunity to benefit from them. Remember, more denials will only hurt her chances of ever obtaining a visa.

This attorney is Board Certified, speaks Spanish and French, and represents clients throughout the United States. For more information, click through to the Blog or web site.

Elizabeth R. Blandon


Unfortunately, the honest answer to your question is that visitor visas are almost entirely granted or denied on discretionary grounds and therefore a later approval after a revocation of a B-1/B-2 is unlikely. What can you do? That depends on the facts of the case. Any discussion should look at all of the facts and objectives. Perhaps there is another option that does not include a B visa.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer