Skip to main content

On the I-130 FORM, if one is petitioning for his spouse, does the term "relative" also mean spouse?

Los Angeles, CA |

On the I - 130 form it refers to " your relative " throughout the form but if you are the petitioner petitioning for your spouse is it synonymous with spouse ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Yes, in part C of the I-130, the relative would refer to your spouse.

(626) 771-1078 Los Angeles Attorney Theodore Huang, Esq. This is not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is established. Attorney Huang is licensed in MD; practice limited to federal law.


Yes, in this instance the foreign national spouse is the "relative" the USC petitioner is filing for.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.





It means the relative you are petitioning.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

David B Pittman

David B Pittman


Great and helpful answer!


Yes. When petitioning for spouse like in your case, you need to enter his/her information where it asks for relative's info.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer