Skip to main content

On the I-130, do I put "None", "N/A", or just leave it blank if the child doesn't have a middle name?

Louisville, KY |

I'm unsure when to put "None" and when to put "N/A". For example, I-130 Section C Item 20 [If filing for your spouse, give last address at which you lived together.], do I put "None" since there is no non-Roman way to spell the immigrant's name, or do I put "N/A" because this doesn't apply? Also, if I put "None" where an immigrant does not have a middle name, how do they know for sure that their middle name isn't literally "None"?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

I put "--" when there is no middle name. None is appropriate for example if they ask if you have a former spouse. That means you considered the question and responded that you have no former spouse. If you answered None that you don't have a former spouse and they ask in the next section what is the name, data of birth etc. then put N/A.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
Fax: (619) 923-3277

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law


No 'non-Roman way' to spell a name? Really? Look at their passport.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


If there is no middle name you can leave the space blank. If you are not filing for a spouse, then you can leave blank the space that asks for the address if you are filing for a spouse (because you are not filing for a spouse). If the person's name is writtenin Roman letters in the native language, then you leave blank the space that asks for it to be spelled in the native language if non-Roman characters.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer