On the disoclure form under creditor info (credit card) it asks to list creditor, balance, min payment, but then "payment for"

Berwyn, IL |

What does that mean?

This is for a divorce...uncontested and I am referring to disclosure forms that both myself and my spouse have to fill out.

It sounds like your question should be answered by a family law attorney. So, I have posted it under that practice area.

That said, there is a possibility the two of you should consider a joint bankruptcy prior to moving forward with a divorce. The scope of this space does not afford an opportunity to assess the situation and advise you. I recommend you assemble for legal consultation: (1) your income information for November 2012 through the present, including wages and unemployment during that period; (2) all your bills (copies neatly assembled, back pages included); (3) last four years’ tax returns; (4) a credit report (use www.annualcreditreport.com to obtain free report if not requested in last year); and (5) other information that may apply, such as copies of lawsuits. Call at your earliest convenience to afford the most opportunity in which to be advised about your best course. You are not required to use an attorney in your area.

I do not recommend filing bankruptcy on your own. There are too many complex issues. I have seen several posts on this site for debtors who filed on their own and are seeking counsel concerning complications. Most of them will have a hard time finding an attorney to get involved to unwind the mess without the attorney charging several times what would originally have been paid.

Finally, I would ask if you have taken all opportunities to try to save your marriage. Relief from debt may be one helpful step. Counseling and other efforts may be other avenues to help you restore what you once had together instead of relying on moving on making things better.

The scope of this space does not afford an opportunity to adequately advise you. The response provided is intended to be informative, but not final. You are advised to arrange a consultation at which all facts and documents can be explored and terms for representation agreed. An attorney-client relationship must be formally established.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

wrong answer for this question.

"Payment for " asks why you have this debt. You can answer generally as "marital expense," "vacation," "computer," if you know. Since yours is an uncontested matter, just answer to the best of your recollection and you should be fine.

It means what dd you incur the debt for. What purpose. If you have a lawyer discuss the disclosure form with her/him.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

*did