Skip to main content

On my credit report , i have a judgment but never got any letters sent to me , what should i do ?

New York, NY |

I checked my credit report and it states I have a judgment against me filed about 4 years ago but i never got any letters sent to me or anything . What should i do ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Check the file in the courthouse, especially the affidavit of service to see how the plaintiff claims you were served. If you have grounds, you can file an Order To Show Cause to vacate the default judgment and perhaps dismiss if the statute of limitations has expired.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


I would get a copy of the entire file from the Court clerk's office. You may be able to vacate (set aside) the judgment.


Go to the county courthouse where the judgment was entered and get ALL documents in the file, then take them to an attorney to be sure if everything as done correctly. Good luck.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.