Skip to main content

On l1b visa for 2.5 years. Get l1b extension now and later my employer files for l1b to l1a conversion how long can i stay in US

Cincinnati, OH |

I've stayed for about 2.6 years on my L1B visa in US. My employer is applying for my l1b extension. If the extension gets approved and then 6 months my employer files for a L1B to L1A conversion what are the total number of years I can stay in the US- do the max number of years I can stay in US be a total of 7 years (including my l1b stay and upcoming l1a stay) or will the number of years get reset and i can stay for 7 more years (in addition to my existing l1b stay)?
Will the answer be different if a fresh L1A application is made rather than a conversion from L1B to L1A?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Your question is unclear. If you are asking about the maximum amount of time allowed in each category, 5 years on L-1B, 7 years on L-1A. Time in L-1A counts against time in L-1B and vice versa.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


These types of questions need to be answered by your EMPLOYER'S immigration lawyer.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You are allowed to be on L1B up to 5 years and 7 years on L1A

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


The total for L-1B is 5 years. The total for L-1A is 7. The time in L-1B or L-1A status counts towards the limit of 5 or 7 years.


Robert Brown LLC
1468 W.9th St., Suite 800
Cleveland, Ohio 44113