Skip to main content

On an F1 student visa , how much time do I have before I must leave the U . S . if I quit the program ?

Austin, TX |

I am an international PhD student with an F1 visa but I am planning on leaving the PhD program ( i . e . not graduating ) , however I would like to find a job / sponsorship if possible so I want to know how much time I would have in order to search for a job

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you successfully complete a course of study and program/degree you have a 60 day grace period. If you fall out of status, i.e. quit your program you do not enjoy any grace period.


I agree with my colleague. If you do not finish the program you are out of status the day you quit. Being outof status creates difficulties for getting an employment based visa or green card. Discuss with an attorney before you drop out.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


Mr. Calehr is correct. You immediately fall out of status, but you are not an overstay unless your SEVIS record is revoked and you are notified. It is best to depart as soon as possible to avoid conceivable unlawful presence.

This may allow you to more easily seek an H1b through consular processing once the petition is filed and approved. It is unclear if you alluded to trying to seek a petitioning employer for an H1b and file in April. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


60 days, but i sure hope taht the h1 process is already in the oven a cooking. don't quit the program till you have filed a change of status tot he H1 or the 60 day clock starts to run

The advice that I give in each answer or legal is not intended to take the place of an in person consultation. A complete answer takes an in depth interview. After all, it is a life that is at stake. If you are in another city that I do not service ask me and I might be able to recommend you an attorney there. In general, in Houston, I recommend Adan Vega or Bruce Coane, Specialists. In Dallas I recommend Richard Fernandez, Elizabeth Cedillo or Yong Wood as highly skilled and experienced. In South Texas I recommend Jodi Goodwin from Harlengin or Leonel Perez of Edinburg. In San Antonio I recommend Bob or Nancy Shivers or drive to Austin to see me or my talented associate Jacqueline Watson.