Skip to main content

Obama's deferred action for young people, do i qualify?

Houston, TX |

I came here to the U.S.A when I was 5 yrs old and I am now 22. I graduated elementary, middle and high school here and I will graduate from college this semester. My concern is that if i qualify under the deferred action because I got a DUI by Minor when I was 18 in 2008, I did not get arrested. On the day of my citation I was ordered to pay a fine for driving without DL and insurance but was given deferred adjudication for the DUI by Minor so it would not be on my record. Would this be a problem? Also, I got arrested last year for driving without a DL and no insurance, I was taken to jail and I paid the amount of the fines to be released. I was given a court date and when that day came up my cases were dismissed and the city reimbursed me the amount that I had paid. Would I qualify?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You need to schedule a consultation with an Immigration Attorney and and take all criminal dispositions so he/she can review and make a proper determination.

Morales Law Firm P.A. 2100 Coral Way Ste 703 Miami, FL 33145 (305) 851-7856 This response is not offered as legal advice, but is only a general informational response for public interest. No one reading this is authorized to claim that an attorney client relationship exists with this writer or the writer's law firm.


Maybe.. we do not know if this would be considered a serious crime

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at


You should be ok.

You will be wise to meet with an attorney and not attempt the DA application on your own.

Franco Capriotti - Senior Immigration Counsel

IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


Unfortunately, on the August 3rd conference call USCIS has indicated that a DUI will generally disqualify people for deferred action.

to keep up to date with news you may want to sign up for our immigration law newsletter by visiting

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC


You definitely need to get all your criminal record to make sure that the final disposition is as you say. If your case was changed into a a different case and you were a minor you have a very good chance to get positive discretion. If you have been convicted of a DUI as an adult then you would not qualify.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer